Pursuant to Sections 3375.40(H) and 2935.041 of the Ohio Revised Code the following Code of Conduct was adopted by the Findlay-Hancock County Public Library Board of Trustees on November 12, 2013, and revised and approved by the Board of Trustees in February 2020.
The Findlay-Hancock County Public Library encourages and supports lifelong reading, viewing and listening in the pursuit of knowledge and joy. The following rules have been adopted for the comfort and protection of everyone using the library. The library staff will enforce these rules in a courteous yet firm manner. If any patron is confronted with violations of these rules, he/she should alert a staff member immediately. The library may use security video to confirm violations of the Code of Conduct.
- The following activities are prohibited on library property:
- Excessive noise, including in person and cell phone conversations held at a disruptive level
- Use of foul, abusive, or threatening language
- Threatening actions, including fighting, hitting or physical abuse
- Running, or use of skateboards, roller skates, roller blades or other sports equipment
- Taking photographs and/or recording videos of library staff or patrons without their permission
- Bringing non-service pets or animals into the library building.
- Use of tobacco products (or electronic substitutes), alcohol and/or unauthorized drugs in any form anywhere on library property (inside or outside). Persons who are under the influence of alcohol or an illegal substance will be asked to leave immediately.
- Inappropriate or disruptive behavior, which may include, but is not limited to, loitering, sleeping, vandalism, molestation, or solicitation
- All illegal activities
- Food and drink are allowed only in designated areas. Capped bottled water is permitted in all areas of the library except at public computers.
- Shirts and shoes must be worn in the library.
- Intentional defacement of library materials is a crime punishable by law.
- The library reserves the right to inspect all bags, purses, briefcases, personal listening equipment, and overcoats for library materials.
Library staff may ask a patron who violates the policies regarding patron conduct to leave the library. Any patron refusing to leave the library at the request of library staff is considered in violation of Ohio Revised Code 2911.21 regarding trespass. Staff may ask police officers to assist them if the situation warrants.